Indian Flag history
A flag known as 'Swaraj flag' was widely used in the final stages of Indian independence movement. It became the official flag of Indian National Congress Party at its 1931 meeting.
History of India flag
India Flag history
To select a flag for independent India, on 23 June 1947, the Constituent Assembly set up an ad hoc committee headed by Rajendra Prasad. On 14 July 1947, the committee recommended that the flag of the Indian National Congress be adopted as the National Flag of India with suitable modifications. The spinning wheel of the Indian National Congress Party flag was replaced by the Ashok Chakra (Emperor Ashok's wheel) from the Lion Capital of Ashoka. The Lion capital of Ashoka is a sculpture of four "Indian lions" standing back to back that was originally placed atop the Aśoka pillar at Sarnath by Emperor Ashok.
The National flag of India was adopted by the Constituent Assembly on 22 July 1947, when it became the official flag of the Dominion of India. The flag was subsequently retained when India became a republic.
Indian flag, by law, is to be made of khadi (a type of hand-spun cloth)